Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mt. Hood Trip 2009

A look at Timberline Lodge in 1991...


Over Thanksgiving weekend my husband took me to Mt. Hood, it was a wonderful drive and only took about 90 minutes to arrive. He took me to Timberline lodge; the closest I have ever been is over the mountain but never stopped to see anything. We stopped in at government camp to see some of the wonderful rental homes (maybe we will rent one some holiday season), farther up the road was the turn off to the lodge and it was so busy with a wedding and skiers that we actually had to wait 30 minutes before they would let us up because the parking was full. The view was breathtaking and the inside of the lodge was gorgeous, Timberline lodge may look familiar to some of you, the front of the building was used as the front of the Overlook Hotel in the Movie, The Shining (1980). We had such a great time spending the afternoon at the lodge and in the wonderful fluffy snow. On our way back home we stopped in the town of Sandy to have dinner at Calamity Jane's Hamburger Parlour, neither of us had ever been. They had so many types of burgers that it was very hard to choose. I went way out of my box and tried what I would say was the most extreme burger they offered, it was simply called the hot fudge/ marshmallow , once you can get your head around the concept of this burger it was really very good. I will never try it again, cause once was enough but I am very glad that I did give it a try, Ed had their Super Egg & Pastrami, he did change it a little by swapping the American cheese for cheddar and pepper jack and of course by adding bacon. Our final stop of the night was in beautiful downtown Portland to see the Pioneer Courthouse Square Christmas tree, if was so lovely and festive. I want to thank my husband for taking me on this adventure in our wonderful Pacific NW and for treating me to such a great day.


Snowy Trees...


A Couple Rental Homes on Mt Hood...




Entrance to the Parking area...


Mt. Hood...


Looking East from Mt. Hood...


Timberline Lodge Front Present Day...



From the movie: THE SHINING...


Dining Room...


Feast inside at the Buffet...


Second Level of the Dining Room...


Leaving for Dinner in Sandy...


Front of The Menu at Calamity Janes's Hamburger Parlour Restaurant...


My Burger is the one Right In the Middle...Hot Fudge/Marshmallow


My Yummmmy Burger...


Downtown Portland at the Pioneer Court Square Christmas Tree...



It was a long and fun filled day and we were glad that we can share it with you !!!

7 comments:

Sonya said...

It's sooo beautiful there isnt it. I went once when I was alot younger and just loved it. We pulled the car over and got out to play in the snow..lol I regret not taking my husband there before we moved over here. Thanks for shareing the beautiful photos!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You lucky lady! Everything is so pretty.

The cabins remind me of the Chalets available here in the Smokies. We don't have any snow yet, but we're supposed to geta 3 to 6 inch dusting tomorrow...we'll see.

teresa said...

oh, that is my type of vacation! the pics are just stunning!

gaga said...

Hi MaryBeth, I enjoy your blog so much and gave you an award. Swing by to pick it up! http://gagainthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/bun.html

Jennifer said...

Looks like a fun day, wish we could have come.

Anonymous said...

Brave woman for trying that burger!!

I would have preferred your hubby's though! :D

Glad you had such a wonderful day - the views are absolutely breath taking!!

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing getaway! Gorgeous pictures!

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.