Sunday, May 17, 2009

Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup



Last month my husband and I went to dinner with his parents, the restaurant we went too was featuring Greek food. They had a fabulous soup that my mother in law, husband and I just fell in love with. I told my mother in law that I would see if I could find or tweak a recipe to make this wonderful soup at home. I searched on- line and found this version of the soup, it tasted just as great as the one we had out. While I was baking another Greek recipe (to be posted on next Wednesday) my wonderful Husband made this fabulous soup. I was quite impressed with the outcome...



8 C. - Chicken Broth
1 C. - Orzo Pasta
½ Lb. - Boneless skinless Chicken Breast
3 - Eggs
1/3 C. - Lemon Juice
1 Tbs. - Lemon Zest
2 Tbs. - Parsley
2 Tbs. - Cornstarch
1 C. - Water
Salt & Pepper

In a large soup pot bring the broth to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and cook the Orzo uncovered for about 15-20 minutes. While bringing the broth to boil, cut the chicken into cubes and pan fry in EVOO until golden brown. Five minutes before the pasta is done add in the chicken. Place the eggs into a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs while adding the lemon juice and zest, while whisking slowly stir in a ladle of the broth into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Reduce the broth heat to low and slowly stir in the egg mixture, the soup will thicken slightly but if it is not enough for your liking then thicken more with a little cornstarch and water. Add in the salt & pepper to taste and stir in the parsley. This is a wonderful and refreshing soup to have on a warm evening, serve with some Greek popovers for a awesome dinner.


Click here to Print Recipe...


24 comments:

Leslie said...

I havent had much Greek food in my belly yet, but it always looks sooooo good.
To answer your question on the water temp for yeast. the book calls for luke warm tap water. just as long as it dissolves the yeast in about 5 minutes it is good.

Amanda said...

Looks really good, I love all kinds of soups!

Selba said...

It looks so beautiful... and I believe the same how it tasted :)

Sonya said...

Oh yum this looks wonderful!

Donna-FFW said...

Mary Beth- This soup sounds utterly delicious, you always pick such great things to post.

Anonymous said...

The soup sounds wonderful - love the lemon flavor, so refreshing!

Rebecca said...

Yum!! I can't wait to try this, every other one I've made always comes out not lemony enough.

Anonymous said...

It's called avgolemono. The version I make is with arborio rice (tho any rice would work) and using only the egg yolks. You can also cook the chicken by adding it to the broth after the eggs and simmering for ten more minutes - this saves getting another pan dirty and eliminates the oil. A grate of nutmeg at the end is nice too.

Debbie said...

The soups looks great. I have always wanted to make that soup and I think I will try this for my son and I.

teresa said...

This looks SOOO good, it reminds me of egg drop soup-Greek style! I have to try this!

Kasha said...

You always have the coolest and most unique recipes! That looks tasty! Thanks MaryBeth!
Kasha

Amy said...

I've never heard of this soup but it looks fantastic!

grace said...

lemon chicken? i like it. greek flavors? i love 'em. combine the two in soup form? fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love lemon so I will definitely be putting this on the list of things to make! Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing wonderful Greek recipes with us. Love this soup and can't wait to try your version. I bought a bag of lemons at Costco the other day so I'm all set.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

i am very impressed your husband was able to re-create the soup. It looks very top shelf Mary Beth. You are one lucky woman!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

That looks really good and healthy too!

I will try it for sure!

Elyse said...

You have me totally wanting this soup! Man oh man, does it sound good. And the fact that everyone at dinner fell in love with it...well, the soup must be darn good! Sorry that I've been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

Jennifer said...

That was one of the best soups I have ever eaten, thanks for sharing. The Baklava was indeed the best I have ever had, seriously!

Unknown said...

I am a big soup fan so any chance I get, I like to try new recipes. This would be a fun one. :)

Anonymous said...

MaryBeth I made this last night and brought it to work for me and a co-worker - she came up to me and said "the soup is incredible!"

Thanks to your hubby for sharing it!

gaga said...

I had this soup once as a kid and loved it but have forgotten about it since. Thanks for sharing this, I love it!

What a Dish! said...

This recipe looks very yummy. I've been wanting to try a variation of Greek Lemon soup, so I'll be bookmarking this.

Paula G said...

I just made your soup and it was sooo very easy and sooo very yummy. I've had this soup before at a Greek restaurant as well, you absolutely nailed it with this recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.