Thursday, January 29, 2009

Posh Piggies



I was talking to my friend Denice from work a few weeks ago about the Dunkin family Super Bowl party and how this year I wanted something quick, easy, yummy and fun to take. The very next day at work she had brought me a recipe for a spiffed up version of pigs in a blanket, she thought this was exactly what I was looking for. I took one look at the ease of the recipe and the flavor combination and I knew it would be a big hit. My husband and I just did a test run on them for dinner and they turned out fabulous, they are so easy, flaky, flavorful and downright delish!


1 Lbs. - Sweet Italian Sausage Links (Johnsonville)
1 - Sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
1 - Egg
2 Tbs. - Mayonnaise
2 Tbs. - Dijjonaise
¼ C. - Apricot Pineapple Jelly

Cut the sausage links into 36 half- inch slices; brown the meat on both sides in a frying pan over medium high heat. No need to fully cook at this time, all you want is to get both sides a little crispy. Set aside on a plate to cool while you get the pastry ready, lay the pastry out on your work surface then break the egg into a small dish and brush the entire surface of the pastry. Using a mini cookie cutter (I used a star) cut out 36 shapes from the pastry. Place the meat onto a baking sheet and cover each one with a piece of pastry and secure in place with a tooth pick. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. While the piggies are baking mix the jelly, mayo and mustard in a small dish, these are good served hot, warm and room temp. Dip and enjoy!


Click here to Print Recipe...

17 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

I am so making these piggies for the Super Bowl!!!

Nina Timm said...

I do a lot of catering and this is a fresh new idea. Thx for sharing, mind if I use the recipe for my next function???

Jennifer said...

Those look delish and are soo cute, love it!

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute!

♥ Dee ♥ said...

Wow, do these ever look simple and delicious!

Chocolate Shavings said...

That sounds like the perfect finger food!

Anonymous said...

I literally just crossed off one of my menu items for Sunday so I could replace it with these! Thanks for the last minute switch idea!

redmenace said...

What a fantastic idea! I might have to make these for a baby shower next week :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! just in time for Super Bowl.

Karen said...

Those are so cute and they'd even be cute with a circle of puffed pastry instead of a star.

grace said...

how festive--love the star shapes! sausage and sweet jelly is an unexpected but delicious match--bravo!

wildraz said...

These are amazing! How creative and delicious looking!

Aggie said...

These are great!! And very cute!

Elizabeth said...

What a great way to turn that snack into something so elegant - I love it!

Anonymous said...

So cute!! Star is one of my favorites shapes!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I wonder... could you use egg whites and add food coloring so that you have red, white (clear), and blue stars? Or will that not work?

Sheila T said...

I made these for a July 4th wedding and they were a huge hit! Thanks for the idea.

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.