Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Deep Fried Ice Cream



Welcome to the Grand Finale of Deep Fried Dessert Week.... We have had so much fun trying all of the different dessert items and reading all of your comments. I knew when I first read that Melody wanted us to do Oreo's that we would turn this into a week long affair and what dessert I wanted as the grand finale item. I have heard my Father tell us stories of this item when we were kids and we always thought he was pulling our legs and telling us a tall tale. When I was in high school the family went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and oddly enough my Dad asked if we wanted dessert. Now this was something special, I am the youngest of 5 kids so when we went to dinner we almost never got to have dessert too. My Dad just pointed to something in the menu and told the waiter we all wanted to share this mystery item he was pointing to, and of course he would not tell us what this dessert was. To my surprise when it arrived to the table to find out that the stories my Father had been telling us all along were actually true. So I give to you this wonderful mystery deep fried dessert...As a Tribute to my dearly departed Father...Deep Fried Ice-Cream !


1 Tsp. - Ground Cinnamon
2 Tsp. - Sugar
2 - Eggs
2 C. - Crushed Frosted Flakes
2 - Ice - Cream Balls ( baseball sized )
Whip Cream

Make your ice-cream balls and wrap in plastic wrap, place into the freezer for 24 hours until they are good and hard. The next day place your cereal into a shallow dish , mix the eggs, sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Remove 1 ice-cream ball from the freezer and unwrap it, roll into the cereal then into the egg mixture then back into the cereal. Repeat these steps...in egg mixture, then the cereal. Roll and pat the cereal onto the ice-cream, work quickly so the ice-cream does not get too soft. When the ball is fully coated leave it unwrapped and place it in a bowl and back into the freezer and do the second ball. Leave both in the freezer for 1 hour to get good and firm. Heat a deep fryer to 350 degrees, when the oil is ready cook for 15 seconds then serve with whipped cream.


Click here to Print Recipe...

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks good, can I have that for my birthday!

Sonya said...

Yum yum..they serve that at mexican resturants sometimes. Another thing I miss over here is ice cream..it's not the same,not even close. If I want a taste from home a ben and jerry's will run my almost 10 american dollars! lol

Donna-FFW said...

This looks so very delicious. I want to try this.. sounds like a version in a restaurant where I was a waitress during college.. terrific!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I've always wanted to make fried ice cream. Now I know it's possible. I really enjoyed fried dessert week.

Mary Beth, thank you for your sweet thoughts and kinds words. I'm blessed to have you for a friend!

Alisa@Foodista said...

I loved your deep fried ding dongs, and I will try this one as well :)Yum!

teresa said...

Yes yes yes! I love it!

Debbie said...

I love fried ice cream. So delicious...I've had this only in Mexican restaurants.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that you will do the fried ice cream! Excellent!

Amy said...

I love fried ice cream! I've had it at Thai restaurants too. Yum!

oneordinaryday said...

Haven't seen this version in a long time. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! My daughter would love this - she's my icecream girl!

Had fun seeing all your deep fried stuff! My hubby and I absolutely think we would eat just about anything if it were battered and deep fat fried!

Bunny said...

I'm getting an ice cream maker for Mother's Day I can't wait to make Ice cream and try this!!

grace said...

as far as mexican desserts go, it's hard to top churros, but this definitely comes close!

Tangled Noodle said...

I love fried ice cream but the last time I tried making it, it went so horribly wrong. Maybe I'll try again . . .

Rebekah said...

this looks good-i've never seen it done with frosted flakes. I'll have to try it. I've always done with cinnamon toast crunch cereal. I LOVE fried ice cream! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

ive heard rave reviews about this but never tried it or knew how to make it! yummo! thanks!!

Kaitlin said...

Looks fantastic! I always wondered how the mechanics of deep fried ice cream worked. I must try this the next time I'm looking to be really indulgent.

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.