Friday, January 30, 2009

Apple Footballs



My husband and I figured that we needed to include a cute little bite sized dessert in our Super Bowl party; we started talking about how something with apples would be good since apple pie and football are an All American tradition. What popped into my head was when we were kids how we folded up a sheet of notebook paper into a small triangle shape and called it a football, then one of my friends would hold their hands up like goal posts and I would try to flick my football in for a score. Oops… sorry, I fell back into my childhood for a moment. My husband and I threw and kicked around some ideas on what we could create and this is the winner of the game!


2 - Small Gala Apples (cored & diced)
¼ C. - Splenda Brown Sugar
2 Tbs. - Butter
1 Tsp. - Cinnamon
1 Tsp. - Vanilla
½ Tsp. - Nutmeg
2 - Sheets Puff Pastry (thawed)
¼ C. - Raisins
Cinnamon/Sugar for dusting

Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the apples, raisins, brown sugar and spices for about 5-8 minutes, until the apples a little soft and a nice tan caramel sauce has been reached. Set the apples aside to cool while you open up the pastry and cut 9 circles out of each sheet using a medium sized biscuit cutter. Place 1 Tsp. of mixture in the center of each round then fold over one side to the other and pinch to seal, then with a fork crimp the edge closed. Deep fry at 350 degrees for 2 minutes then turn and cook for another 2 minutes remove with a slotted spoon and roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. I had about 1 C. of filling left; I think it would be great on top of ice-cream, waffles or pancakes.


Click here to Print Recipe...

I am submitting this post in the "Cinnamon Celebration" on A Southern Grace Blogsite

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Holy crap that looks gooD

Donna-FFW said...

Wow- These look so good, and I like the fact you can eat a ton because of the splenda, it does mean that, right:) They really do look wonderful!

grace said...

you've made little pockets of heaven, marybeth. these would be perfect for my cinnamon celebration...and for my belly. :)

Karen said...

They should be a big hit!

Anonymous said...

I love those scrumptious little apple footballs! I'm glad I saw them just when I'm starting to make dinner and I have all the ingredients so I'm running off to make these! Thanks!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

they look like they took a lot of effort! i wouldn't mind one for dessert :)

Debbie said...

Oh what a great snack these make. I could probably make a whole meal out of them though...delicious!

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, so cute! I bet they are delicious!

Leslie said...

mmmm..these look so very yummy!
I love that you used splenda!

Bunny said...

I love apples, this is perfect! I even have puff pastry in the freezer!

Anonymous said...

Oh NO WAY! That looks so awesome! I would eat all of them! Seriously!

gaga said...

Aww, those are so cute! And delicious!

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.