Sunday, March 6, 2011

Monte Cristo Egg Rolls



My all time favorite Sammie is a Monte Cristo; I have loved them ever since I was a very little girl. My Uncle Jerry used to take me and my 4 brothers and sisters to a Diner called the Divit, it was on the West side of Olympia by Black Lake. I don't have many memories from this young age but for some reason this fabulous Sammie is a very fond memory from back in the day. No matter where I go to eat I also look first to see if they serve a Monte Cristo, I really love it so much I could eat one every day. Most people with me at the time find it very odd that I put strawberry jam on my meat and cheese Sammie, I will tell you honestly I don't recall why or when I started to do it but it is an amazing combo. When I told my husband that I wanted to make a Monte Cristo for the blog he was all good with it, however I wanted to make a change and turn this wonderful Sammie into something totally different.


8 - Egg Roll Wraps
3 - Deli Sliced Honey Ham
3 - Deli Sliced Black Forest Ham
3 - Deli Sliced Smoked Turkey
3 - Deli Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese
5 Tbs. - Strawberry Jam

Chop the meat and cheese into small pieces and place into a mixing bowl, add the jam and stir to combine. Lay out the egg roll wraps with 1 corner facing you; place about 2 Tbs. of the filling just above the bottom corner. Fold this bottom corner up over the filling, then fold in each side of the egg roll wrap then roll it up. When you roll up to the other corner use a little water on your finger and spread on the wrapper to seal the roll and corner together. Deep fry at 320 degrees, for about 3 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve warm as is or sprinkle with powder sugar, if you would like you could also have extra jam on the side for dipping.




Click here for Printable Recipe...

9 comments:

Fresh and Foodie said...

Awesome idea! I could totally go for one of these right now!

Brandie said...

This is such a great idea!!

teresa said...

soooo yummy! this is such a great idea!

Melody said...

OH YUM! I like the way you think!

Sonya said...

WoooW!!! that is such a fantastic idea!! those look so delicious :)

nazarina said...

Hi Marybeth!

Yep! we too are sharing the same cold & in a way cozy weather. I see you were hard at work making all the comforts synonymous with warm hearths and snowflakes. Who could ask for more than that delicious lasagna soup, beef stroganoff & now crispy Monte Christos!
Keep this up & I may just land on your doorstep!

Biz said...

Yep. The best food I've seen today! Holy cow that looks delicious - hail to the deep fryer! (and I may need to pull mine upstairs in the near future to make these!)

Unknown said...

I LOVE Monte Cristos! This is a genius idea!!

The JR said...

Another neat idea for egg roll wrappers. I've never had a monte cristos. Might just have to give one a try.

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.