Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rhubarb Pineapple Upside-Down Cake




I really love Rhubarb, I usually make Strawberry Rhubarb sauce every summer because it is so versatile and can be enjoyed hot or cold. My husband on the other hand is not a big fan so I was determined to find a recipe that would make him take another look at Rhubarb. I found this cake recipe that I just fell in love with, the combo of flavors and ingredients made me do a double take but I thought who am I to judge until I try it. I made this wonderful cake for my husband and my in-laws and they all loved it, we loved how at the same time it was tart, tangy & sweet. It had such a moist texture and wonderful color; this was the perfect choice to get my husband to love Rhubarb.



1 - (20 oz.) Can - Crushed Pineapple, drained and save the juice
3 C. - Chopped Rhubarb
½ C. - White Sugar
½ C. - Brown Sugar
1 - (3 oz.) Box - Strawberry Jell-o Mix
2 C. - Mini Marshmallows
1 - (18.25 oz.) Box - White or Yellow Cake Mix

In a medium bowl, mix together the pineapple, rhubarb, white sugar, brown sugar, jell-o, and marshmallows. Pour into the bottom of a sprayed 13x9 cake pan. In another bowl make the cake according to the box directions but replace the water with the pineapple juice, when mixed spread evenly over the rhubarb mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 min to an hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean. You can either turn the cake out onto a serving plate while it is still warm or as I did just cut out a piece and invert it onto a dessert plate.


Click here to Print Recipe...

10 comments:

Bunny said...

What a pretty color that is! I bet this was good. I've never made anything with rhubarb. This would be a great first try!

Melody said...

What a colorful cake! It looks delicious and I always love the semi-homemade approach!

Donna-FFW said...

GORGEOUS cake. Such a cinch to make. It looks delicious and the PERFECT summer dessert!

grace said...

this looks absolutely perfect for a potluck or picnic or barbecue. perfect for any occasion, actually. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! That cake looks and sounds incredible! My husband would really love it because he a huge rhubarb fan!

Leslie said...

I have still yet to try Rhubarb.
Looks delish

teresa said...

oh i love this, and i love the mallows! delish!

Cathy said...

Hi Marybeth - I would never have thought to combine rhubarb and pineapple. Love them both so I know I would like this cake.

Anonymous said...

I have never even tried rhubarb before! :D

This looks delicious!

pigpigscorner said...

wow that's a nice red..pineapple and rhubarb sounds like a nice combo!

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.