Sunday, May 3, 2009

Deep Fried Ding Dongs



Welcome Back to Deep Fried Dessert Week.... We have been getting such the raves from everyone over our deep fried Oreo's and candy bites, we have had a lot of people saying how they remember back in the day having these items at the local fair. Along with enjoying these treats many people have reminisced about having a fabulous deep fried Twinkies. I too have had this wonderful item, but I wanted to try something other than a Twinkie for my next deep fried endeavor. I thought of the many beloved Hostess items I could use, such as a Ho Ho or Suzy Q but we finally agreed upon the out of this world goodness of the Ding Dongs.




4 - Ding Dongs (freeze for 3 hours)
1 C. - Krusteaz Belgian Waffle Mix
1 - Egg
3 Tbs. - Oil
3/4 C. - Cold Water
1 Tsp. - Vanilla

In a mixing bowl combine the waffle mix, oil, egg, water and vanilla until smooth. Unwrap 1 ding dong at a time and cover in the batter. Deep fry at 360 degrees for 1 minutes, make sure to carefully turn the ding dong over after 30 seconds. Once done cooking remove to a cookie sheet lined with paper towel to drain. Cook each remaining ding dong in the same fashion, once all are cooked and drained serve then while they are still warm and crispy.


Click here to Print Recipe...

23 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Krusteaz Belgian waffle mix...you are BRILLIANT.

Amy said...

Looks so good! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Amy said...

Looks so good! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Selba said...

Just looking at the picture (although I'm not familiar with ding dong), I seriously want to try it!

Jennifer said...

Looks good how is your cholesterol, LOL

Donna-FFW said...

Awesome idea with the waffle mix.. and I love that cross section shot. How well do these keep? How do you store them..

Rebecca said...

These posts do NOT help my diet :)

gill gill said...

it looks awesome! wonderful receipy

teresa said...

This makes me think that I need to have a bunch of people over and have a big party where we just fry all of your different treats up! So yummy!

Debbie said...

This is getting dangerous for me. I have a box of Ding Dongs in my freezer and Ikea waffle mix in my pantry.....I am tempted.....They look GREAT!!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I am drooling!! Can't imagine how yummy those are.

Brenda Campbell said...

Hubby says he loves you with this one... Ding Dongs are his favorite LOL That might be good with some vanilla ice cream and a bit of whip with some chocolate drizzle for a really decadent dessert. Yummy Mary Beth!! You always have the best stuff!

MaryBeth said...

Donna, Sorry to say that they do not keep all that great. We only made the few and you really kinda need to eat them while they are still hot and crunchy. Once they cool the batter gets soft, my husband still liked it that way but I prefer it crunchy.

Amanda said...

Holy moly girl, you are on a deep fry marathon! :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

You are the fry goddess.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Mary Beth! You are killing me girlfriend! I love it, I really love it!

I'm going to get my husband's Crestor, deep fry it and feed it to him! Ain't I a stinker? lol

Anonymous said...

You had me at "deep fried!" I had a deep fat fried snickers bar at a high end restaurant one time - um, definitely insulin worthy!

But I would still prefer your deep fried pickles!!

Bunny said...

I have that waffle mix!!! I'm gonna make these!!!

Lisa said...

Funny! And I thought I had such a great find when I ran across the Deep Fried Twinkies stand at Santa Cruz. Deep Fried Ding Dongs sound much more appealing. With no chocolate I never could understand the attraction of Twinkies anyway.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Deep fried ding dongs sound excellent!

suesse-mahlzeit said...

oo looks soo tasty! yummm!

Lisa said...

Those are more than worth some artery clogging! I'm in lust! Beautifully done and oh so mouth watering!

Anonymous said...

when I saw this, I wet myself

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.