Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hearty Bean, Ham & Pasta Soup



After coming home from the Hospital 1-1-09 I really needed some good for me and good sounding comfort food, I was in the mood for some thick, hearty stick to your ribs comfort soup. After all I really have not been given anything to eat in 2 days, I am pretty darn hungry. Nothing sounded better to me than a nice pot of bean, pasta and ham soup, let me just say it perked me right up and made me feel 10 times better.


1 Strip - Bacon (diced)
1 Medium - Onion (chopped)
2 - Carrots (chopped)
1 Tbs. - Garlic (minced)
1/2 Tsp. - Dried Rosemary
2 Tbs. - Tomato Paste
1 – 15oz. - Can Navy Beans
1 – 15oz. - Can Great Northern Beans
4 C. - Low Sodium Chicken Stock
4 C. - Water
3/4 C. - Ditalini Pasta
1/2 C. - Ham (diced)
1/4 C. - Parsley (chopped)
Salt & Pepper


In a stockpot, cook the bacon and ham over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the onion and carrot and cook until they are soft, about 5 min. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for about 1 min, season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir in tomato paste, beans, broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until soup has thickened, about 15 min. With a potato masher, smash some of the beans (still in the pot) to thicken soup. Add the pasta and cook about another 10 min, to serve ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.


Click here to Print Recipe...

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

See a great low fat meal! and beans are soo good for you, low in carbs and high in protein and fiber!

Amy said...

That looks very comforting. I will have to give it a try next I need a little pick me up. Glad you are feeling better!

grace said...

yes ma'am, this'd improve even the sorest of bodies and souls. i hope you're back to 100% soon!

amycaseycooks said...

I am so happy that you are home and feeling well - even well enough cook!!

test it comm said...

That is one tasty looking soup!

Sharon said...

Glad you're back at home and hopefully resting! Soup is always my favorite comfort food.

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.