Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine’s Day Love



Happy Valentine’s Day! Since my husband and I both work during the week we decided to do our Valentines celebration today so we could enjoy each other all day long. This early Valentine’s Day started with my husband making me a fabulous breakfast of fried taters, soft scrambled eggs with cheese, and cinnamon raisin bread French toast, what a wonderful way to start the day. So I will be making him dinner tonight, I will be making slow cooker beef stroganoff that we will be posting another day. Today's post is all about love and baking The Semi-Homemade Way. Every Valentine’s Day dinner must have some type of sweet ending and in my book something with chocolate, this day is no different.


1 - White Cake Mix
1 1/4 C. - Water
1/3 C. - Oil
3 - Egg Whites
Red Food Coloring Drops

Make the cake according to box instructions for a 13x9, after you put the batter into the cake pan, dropping 1 drop of food coloring 3 down the width of the cake and 4 across the length of the cake. Using a toothpick swirl the coloring into the batter. Bake per the instructions on the box. When the cake is done, cool it completely. At this point, you can either take the cake out of the baking dish or cut into any shapes you would like or you can leave the cake in the baking dish and frost it. Since it is Valentine’s Day, I chose to use my heart shaped cutters to cut the cake. Once the shapes are cut and ready for frosting make the below recipe. If you don’t wish to make homemade frosting of course your favorite store bought would be just fine.


Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting

1 7oz. - Jar Marshmallow Cream
3/4 C. - Powder Sugar
3 1oz. - Unsweetened Chocolate Squares (melted)
1 1/2 Tbs. - Butter Flavored Shortening
1/4 C. - Half & Half

Place the marshmallow cream, 2/3 of the powder sugar, melted chocolate, shortening and half of the half & half into a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Alternate the remaining sugar and cream until desired thickness. Once completely smooth and ready to use, frost your cake. If you decided to cut the cake out into shapes then as I did frost each cake cut out and stack on top of each other in the center of your serving plate. When you place this simple yet elegant cake of Love in front of your sweetheart watch a smile come across their face as you express your love with not only words but with a delicious cake to share at the end of this romantic dinner.


Click here for Printable Recipe...

7 comments:

Melody said...

Wow! That is such a pretty dessert. Glad you could enjoy the day together!

teresa said...

what a cute and fun idea! happy valentines day!

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds like you planned a mini-feast for your husband. I'm sure he will enjoy it. This is my first visit to your blog and I've been browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Brandie@thecountrycook said...

Oh I love this. And you know you had me hooked at "boxed cake mix"...LOL. LOVE the marshmallow frosting!

The Daily Smash said...

Looks amazing great idea.


Ashley
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

grace said...

this is lovely, marybeth! it's honestly the perfect valentine's day treat--easy yet beautiful and delicious. and hey--any excuse to dig into a jar of marshmallow creme is a-okay by me. :)

biz said...

That looks delicious MaryBeth! We celebrated early too - good news though - my husband doesn't have to have chemo!! Things are looking up!

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.